I bet you still remember that one ad.
The ad that had you reaching for tissues.
The story of a loyal dog waiting for its owner.
The heartwarming story of a grandfather and his grandson.
You can’t remember the product they were advertising, but you remember the feelings they evoked.
That, my friend, is the power of emotional appeal in marketing.
It’s high time you harnessed this power for your business.
And I’m about to show you how!!
👨🏼🔬 There’s Science Behind It
Ever wondered why some marketing messages tug at your heart while others leave you indifferent?
The key lies in how our brain processes emotions and information.
A 2020 study in the Journal of Consumer Psychology revealed that people rely more heavily on emotions than mere facts when making brand decisions.
(Like we don’t know that already!)
This is where emotional drivers…
… You know… like love, desire, fear, and more come into play.
They aren’t just feelings.
They’re powerful motivators driving consumer behavior.
🧐 Detecting Your Audience’s Emotional Drivers
Before you can pull at the heartstrings, you need to know what emotions resonate with your audience.
- In-depth market research: This helps you understand your audience’s preferences, needs, and behaviors. (The best place to emotional drivers: reviews section of your competitors and forums & groups!!)
- Surveys: Directly ask your customers about their motivations and expectations.
- Social listening: Analyse conversations around your brand and industry on social media.
- Customer personas: Create a fictional representation (but based on data) of your ideal customers, detailing their demographics, behaviours, motivations, and emotional drivers.
🎁 If you’re struggling to define your perfect customer… Check out our FREE Customer Clarity Kit. It’ll help you discover everything about your perfect customer, so you can target the right people with the right message.
✍🏼 Crafting Your Emotional Messaging
Now that you’ve gathered the emotional intel, let’s infuse it into your messaging.
- Speak from the heart. Keep your language simple, relatable, and, most importantly, emotive. Your words should mirror the emotional drivers you’ve identified.
- Narrate compelling stories. People remember stories better than statistics. Use stories that exemplify the value and benefits of your product.
- Tailor content to the channel: Each platform has its own tone and manner. Ensure that your emotional message suits the platform you’re using.
📐 Measuring The Impact (Data is Everything!)
You wouldn’t know the true worth of what you’re doing until you measured its impact.
Here are a few KPIs to track:
- Engagement metrics: Track likes, shares, and comments on social media.
- Conversion rate: Monitor if there’s an increase in the number of users taking the desired action.
- Brand sentiment: Use social listening tools to understand the sentiment around your brand.
💪🏼 Next Steps for You
Now, it’s time to take action.
Start by identifying the primary emotional driver of your target audience.
Then brainstorm three marketing messages that appeal to this emotion.
(The rule of three. Goldilocks, remember?)
Test these messages against each other.. and see which one works best for your audience.
Then use the same messaging to craft other elements of your marketing.
Found this article helpful?
Join The Marketing Fundamentals Newsletter for FREE. Learn how to build solid marketing foundations for your business. Doing the boring stuff. Stuff that (actually) builds brands. With only one power-packed email per week. Every Tuesday.
(No daily spam or jargon… just pure value!)